Monday, August 02, 2010

Peachee Scones























Recently my friend got me hooked on a carbonated peach drink called Peachee, made by Bundaberg. Now while it's best to drink the stuff to get the full force of flavour, I started to toy with the idea of using it in a scone mixture. I'd always heard about using lemonade in a scone mix but had never bothered with it, but my bottle of Peachee was calling me to try it out. Verdict: great success. Instead of using cream I decided to use a half half mixture of yoghurt and buttermilk. The resulting dough was very sticky, but I was still able to work with it, so if you try this recipe don't be too alarmed by the seemingly sloppy mess, it will reward you with delightfully soft scones.

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups self-raising flour
  • 1/2 cup peach yoghurt (or nectarine or anything in a similar vein)
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup Peachee
  • Lemon curd for filling

Method:

Preheat your oven to 220 Celsius.


Sift the flour into a large bowl then add the wet ingredients.
Mix briefly to form a dough. Don't worry if it's a bit sticky, but if you are really worried just add more flour.

Tip out onto a floured bench and roll or pat it out til dough is 2-3cm thick.
Cut with a floured cutter or cut into squares.

Place the scones on a prepared tray, be sure to place them close together to help them rise.


Brush the tops with milk and b
ake for 10-15 minutes. Split them and spread with lashings of lemon curd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message!