Sunday, October 03, 2010

Irish-Coffee Frosted Cupcakes











Usually I favour recipes and cooking methods that don't require much fuss or any special kitchen equipment. I don't own a food processor and my pestle and mortar is my best friend. I don't have cupboards full of gadgets, I don't even own a casserole dish. This is partly due to the fact that my budget only affords me an extremely slow accumulation of 'stuff', and partly because I have the time and inclination to do things the 'old-school' way.

That said, I still love to browse kitchenware stores and ooh and ahh over all the superfluous gadgets on offer. Last week was one such occasion. My friend had just invited me to dinner and I was to bring dessert. I thought this was the perfect excuse to part with some of my savings and purchase the super cute icing syringe set that I had been drooling over. To be honest, the cute tin sold it for me. I'm a real sucker for things that are functional AND pretty.

So now after my first foray into decorating cupcakes I don't know what's more fun: eating them or making them, and I reckon I will have to live off cupcakes for the next wee while just to practise my decorating skills. Oh what a shame.

I used a basic (and easy to remember) recipe for my cupcakes, as I wanted the flavour of the frosting to be the star of the show.

The Cupcakes:

  • 125g butter, softened
  • 125g caster sugar (I use vanilla sugar)
  • 2 eggs
  • 125g self raising flour (or use plain flour and add a teaspoon of baking powder)
  • 2 Tbsp milk

Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, flour and milk and beat until smooth.
Divide the mixture between 12 cupcake cases and bake at 190 Celsius for 12-15 minutes, or until they have risen and are just firm to the touch in the centre.
Remove them from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.

The Frosting:

  • 1 Tbsp instant coffee granules
  • 1 Tbsp hot water
  • 250g icing sugar
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 2-3 Tbsp Irish cream liqueur
  • Cocoa powder, for dusting

Dissolve the coffee in the hot water, then sift in the icing sugar and add the butter.
Beat mixture until smooth.
Add the Irish cream liqueur to taste.
Pipe a swirl on top of your cupcake, or just spread the frosting on top.
Dust with cocoa powder.

Makes 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message!